Last Post: NonEntity
Replies: 55
Views: 12752

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should there be a Religion forum?
02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Should there be a Religion forum?
The Rabbit Trails forum is being overrun with religion rabbits. How about creating a Religion forum. Alternatively called, Beat A Nearly-dead Horse forum. Angel

--

The thought of how far the human race would have advanced absent initiatory force
staggers the imagination.

THE POINT: Unlike the government thief, a common thief doesn't claim his "craft" is honest.
Lawyer-like dishonesty a point: The common thief is honest when he tells you he's robbing you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
RE: Should there be a Religion forum?
(02-08-2012 01:58 PM)zonsb Wrote:  The Rabbit Trails forum is being overrun with religion rabbits. How about creating a Religion forum. Alternatively called, Beat A Nearly-dead Horse forum. Angel

--

I like the alternate name! Big Grin

For those who may not be aware, this is Marc's forum and he has politely requested that religion not be discussed here as it almost always leads to rancor with rarely any benefit. I agree. And I respect Marc, even though he and I differ on our beliefs concerning "higher power" kindza stuff.

That is why I've been careful to deal with what I see is the issue, the willingness to reject open intellectual inquiry by the human race in many fields, "the state" being the one this specific forum is directed towards. I really don't care what anyone thinks as long as they treat others with respect. Statists do not do this, and so are subject to analysis, even ridicule though ridicule just brings me down to their level, so I try not to allow myself that pleasure.

At any rate, I respect Marc alot. I also greatly appreciate what he does and recognize that dragging religion into this space will not help to further his goal. Well, at least I think that to be the case.

Enough.

- NonEquestriusNoLongerAlivus

- NonE .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
(02-08-2012 02:48 PM)NonEntity Wrote:  For those who may not be aware, this is Marc's forum and he has politely requested that religion not be discussed here as it almost always leads to rancor with rarely any benefit. I agree.

.. the willingness to reject open intellectual inquiry by the human race in many fields, "the state" being the one this specific forum is directed towards.

At any rate, I respect Marc alot. I also greatly appreciate what he does and recognize that dragging religion into this space will not help to further his goal. Well, at least I think that to be the case.

Enough.

I echo your sentiments. My intent was not to invite religious discussion. Rather, if it's going to persist, put it in a box off in a corner of its own.

--

The thought of how far the human race would have advanced absent initiatory force

THE POINT: Unlike the government thief, a common thief doesn't claim his "craft" is honest.
Lawyer-like dishonesty a point: The common thief is honest when he tells you he's robbing you.
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
I found the answer to this deep quandary.

02-08-2012, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 05:26 PM by eye2i2hear.)
A suggestion within a suggestion...
Voltaire supposedly Wrote:If you wish to communicate with me, first define your terms.

WikiP Wrote:Internet forum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. The modern forum originated from bulletin boards, and are a technological evolution of the dialup bulletin board system.

Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; e.g. a single conversation is called a "thread".

A forum consists of a tree like directory structure.

The top end is "Categories". A forum can be divided into categories for the relevant discussions.

Under the categories are sub-forums and these sub-forums can further have more sub-forums.

The topics (commonly called threads) come under the lowest level of sub-forums and these are the places under which members can start their discussions or posts. Logically forums are organized into a finite set of generic topics (usually with one main topic).

Thus, gauging from what NonE's written, Marc would indeed be all for a new forum for religion --ANYwhere other than on his website's forum! Cool

Whether he'd want a category (or sub-forum) titled such as a "finite set", well, he'll have to communicate that of course. Shy

Meanwhile, I'd counter that if we say we can't post about religion, period, then he might as well shut the Forum down. The State IS a religion (notice I speak from e-prime, thus Authority! j/k actually, I simply connect the dots Marc and others have all over the forum (in many categories).Shy Thus, closer to communicating and speaking more logically consistent, the restriction and/or the Category label needs it's qualifying or restricting terminology (e.g. God religion, or Theos religion, or Paranormal religion?) [and "yes", it's my opinion that it's vital that we don't allow Godists exclusive use of the term religion --simply because of the facts of the matter]

Or, if you don't by that, there's always back to:

[Image: matan10720-11102010.JPG]

AiLL kidding aside, i2 wish to express my appreciation to Marc for his work and sacrifices, including the forum, and consider it a genuine honor to be tolerated here~
Angel

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
(02-08-2012 05:25 PM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  Thus, closer to communicating and speaking more logically consistent, the restriction and/or the Category label needs it's qualifying or restricting terminology (e.g. God religion, or Theos religion, or Paranormal religion?)

Remote viewing is categorized as paranormal. Remote viewing is not a religion. It has been validated by many people with empirical evidence. I've successfully remote viewed over a hundred times. Every person has the ability to remote view -- it's a species-wide ability. It's easy to learn and do.

remote-viewing.com has a free course.

[Image: text1.gif]

--

02-08-2012, 09:12 PM
(02-08-2012 06:17 PM)zonsb Wrote:  

--
Yeah. I see. So how was your last trip to Vegas? Oh, silly me, you're so successful you don't need to go there! How is it that I couldn't have foreseen that? Is Ron Paul gonna be the next president? And if so, how long will he be in office before they kill him? Huh?

- NonE :rolleyes:

- NonE .).

02-09-2012, 07:00 AM
(02-08-2012 09:12 PM)NonEntity Wrote:  Yeah. I see. So how was your last trip to Vegas? Oh, silly me, you're so successful you don't need to go there! How is it that I couldn't have foreseen that? Is Ron Paul gonna be the next president? And if so, how long will he be in office before they kill him? Huh?

- NonE :rolleyes:

I'll have an honest and sincere discussion about remote viewing. Let's do it. I'll start the thread, okay?

The thing is, you and everyone can validate for themselves via personal experience that remote viewing works. To not even entertain the idea that you and everyone has a "sixth sense" ability to remote view or choose to ridicule, well... The unexamined life is a life not worth living. That's a paraphrase of Socrates.

--

02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
(02-08-2012 01:58 PM)zonsb Wrote:  The Rabbit Trails forum is being overrun with religion rabbits. How about creating a Religion forum. Alternatively called, Beat A Nearly-dead Horse forum. Angel

--

Been wanting to do that all week, once I have the time I'll get it.

If government services were valuable and the market wanted them, they wouldn't be provided on a compulsory basis.
02-09-2012, 12:16 PM
(02-08-2012 02:48 PM)NonEntity Wrote:  For those who may not be aware, this is Marc's forum and he has politely requested that religion not be discussed here as it almost always leads to rancor with rarely any benefit. I agree. And I respect Marc, even though he and I differ on our beliefs concerning "higher power" kindza stuff.

That is why I've been careful to deal with what I see is the issue, the willingness to reject open intellectual inquiry by the human race in many fields, "the state" being the one this specific forum is directed towards. I really don't care what anyone thinks as long as they treat others with respect. Statists do not do this, and so are subject to analysis, even ridicule though ridicule just brings me down to their level, so I try not to allow myself that pleasure.

Enough.

It's not really my forum, I sent it up and moderate it for everyone to use, with the goal of education, networking and helping bring about a voluntary society.

And we're going through now, what I want to avoid, endless ranting by one particular poster who seems to be on a secular crusade. At least on the radio show I don't have to go through this. As this continues, less people post here. Confused

I will be setting up a subforum for hardcore atheists this week.

If government services were valuable and the market wanted them, they wouldn't be provided on a compulsory basis.
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
To borrow a phrase of Calvin's from the circle-jerk started by Blue-cradle on the Skype chat:

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Narcissists count on everyone else being more polite and more tolerant than they are willing or capable of being. Call them out and reject their projection of their presumed superiority and they'll sulk off by themselves. Zonsb has happily brought it to my attention that Outofstate did just this exactly around the time I made a point of challenging him on every BS post he made; deleted his posts and then his account. Around the same time I was debating Blue-cradle on Skype and another narcissist jerk in a Facebook group (Spencer is in that group; he saw what went down). Blue (though deeply unbalanced) wasn't suffering narcissism, but the other guy definitely was. Narcissists will always give out first when faced with someone they can't manipulate and who refuse not to stand their ground.

They fear nothing more than exposure. Ignoring them can work, but it's better when they know full well that the people ignoring them suffer no illusions on what their trying to hide. Otherwise, they still don't go away.

We have plenty of good and contributing atheists here already, and when the conversations do sway into religious topics, they inject their views in both a valuable (even if still largely tangential) and respectful way. If they want it for themselves, then I'd say they deserve it and would be trustworthy to actually use it to bring benefit to the aim of bringing about a voluntary society.

But don't make one to reward or bribe the trolls, cause I promise you, they'll see it as a victory and make everyone pay for it.

One shouldn't believe everything one thinks.
-Jace: Johanson
02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Another good post Jace.

I am putting a sub forum in, hopefully those who want to rant about religious people and their mental illness, will post there. I will move existing threads into that sub forum.

I never said/wrote there was not to be any discussion of religion on the forum; I just discourage it because it always degenerates into pointless rants.

This way, it will be in a separate category and I can just ignore it, instead of using the ignore feature.

02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
(02-09-2012 02:39 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  ...degenerates into pointless rants.

I RESENT THAT!!! :@

All of my rants are meaningful, mind expanding, soul enriching and generally life enhancing events. Angel

Harumph! Tounge

- NonE

P.S. we need more smilies! Idea

- NonE .).

02-09-2012, 03:28 PM
(02-08-2012 06:17 PM)zonsb Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 05:25 PM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  Thus, closer to communicating and speaking more logically consistent, the restriction and/or the Category label needs it's qualifying or restricting terminology (e.g. God religion, or Theos religion, or Paranormal religion?)

Remote viewing is categorized as paranormal. Remote viewing is not a religion. It has been validated by many people with empirical evidence. I've successfully remote viewed over a hundred times. Every person has the ability to remote view -- it's a species-wide ability. It's easy to learn and do.

remote-viewing.com has a free course.

--

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Win $1,000,000 by proving it to James Randi.

I bet you could not. I am calling your claim false.

It is nonsense like this that allows people to 'see' the State.

Challenge Info

Written by JREF Staff
Thursday, 30 October 2008 12:10

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

Click here to see the application.

Click here to see the current $1 million statement which shows the current amount in our prize account.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Log of Applicants

Last Updated on Thursday, 09 June 2011 11:55

Good luck!
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 04:52 PM by zonsb.)
(02-09-2012 12:12 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  

--

Been wanting to do that all week, once I have the time I'll get it.

Great. I also really like your idea/intent(?) naming it Atheist forum. Hardcore or not. Here's a thought... If there was two forums; a religion forum and an atheist forum, would it be like two "cults" in their respective corners, some members singing to their choirs while other members hop back and forth between the two.

Seems a "cult," in singing to the choir they'd integrate voluntarism into their arguments and topics to refute statism -- with sincerity. On the other hand, "cult hoppers," would be trying to persuade the other guys to convert to their ideas. Who knows, maybe the two would meet in the middle on something like... oh, let me think... how about> anarchy.

Accounts for Anarchy
Architects and Engineers for Anarchy, (A&E for Anarchy)
Atheists for Anarchy
Automobile Enthusiasts for Anarchy
Baptists for Anarchy
Basketball Fans for Anarchy
Blonds for Anarchy
Brunettes for anarchy
Carpenters for Anarchy
Chemists for Anarchy
Christians for Anarchy
Dancers for Anarchy
Doctors for Anarchy
Drummers for Anarchy
Etc, Etc..
You get the idea.
Dinosaurs for Anarchy Big Grin
The Return of System D. Think of the return on all of the above. More cow bell, more cow bell... more Guy Fawkes √Čtienne de la Bo√©tie masks.

--