User(s) browsing this thread:
Author: Habenae Est Dominatus
Last Post: eye2i2hear
Replies: 88
Views: 17327

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Huh? WTF?
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2012 12:59 PM by Dionysus.)
RE: Huh? WTF?
eye2i2hear:

Yes, I use the label “atheist” for convenience, instead of listing out the individual names of those on the forum who think a certain philosophical way. I meant nothing by it. If you want me to use the term ‘abolitionist,” that’s okay by me, but it’s a tad vague (there’s no indication of the object to be abolished).

The Establishment uses fear as weapon to be held against us. That’s how they “deal with” it. And people seem only too happy to oblige. Funny, but I never had Marc pegged as a “happy herd” member. Maybe I’m nuts, or just plain dumb, but I don’t recall Marc ever saying that he belonged to any religion (organized or otherwise). He seems to go out of his way to avoid broaching the subject-- ostensibly out of respect to others and to avoid “divisiveness.” On this point, he seems to be prescient, but your query about whether it’s more appropriate to simply consider the issue “challenging” instead is well taken. Anyway, thank you for the extensive response.

He's noble enough to know what's right
But weak enough not to choose it
He's wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it
He's a New World man - Rush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
(02-29-2012 10:15 AM)Dionysus Wrote:  So, is it the atheist crowd’s contention that, out of fear of facing freedom (in themselves and others), people seek solace and refuge in the state/collective, and out of fear of discovering that the universe is a cold, indifferent place, they seek solace and refuge in organized religion, and that these are of a piece? If so, I totally agree. I consider the state and organized religion together to be the Establishment, and I try to resist it as best I can (without getting myself killed; I have no desire to become a martyr— there’s no future in it). But I still fail to see how you can lump Marc into that. Marc seems pretty courageous to me. As far as I can tell, he’s only guilty of the horrible atrocity of saying “BS” to something NonE stated (and I’m still not clear on exactly what it was that Marc disagreed with). If NonE had a nickel for every time that happened, well, he’d be a rich man, that’s for sure. But I guess you guys will continue to rag on Marc. Have fun with that. I’m not doing it.

Criticism comes with the territory and I've heard it all before. I've had radio show hosts ask me on air if I was drunk or stoned and Crane Durham told his audience (after he hung up the phone screaming at me) "you just can't fix stupid." Wish I had that recorded.Undecided

I've been labeled a conspiracy theorist by Art Bell; I've been called a lunatic, scammer, nutjob, weirdo, idiot, jackass, loser, hypocrite, cult leader, extremist etc., and with all the colorful superlatives attached. I've also had my motives and integrity questioned before, though they only tend to be over the internet. If I cared about such criticisms, I would never have been able to make it even this far; as with most endeavors, the negativity far, far outweighs the positives. Try getting yourself booked on a MSN radio show with my material and you'll know what I mean.

There's no need to defend my reputation because there are objective and independent examples on the net. Just like with consults and callers to the show, I refer people to objective examples of my work/experience so they can make up their own mind what kind of man they are dealing with.

What this boils down to is I set up and moderate the forum and asked politely that the god/religion issue not be discussed here; I don't think it's appropriate and gave supporting reasons why numerous times.

I have even discussed it with eye2, he only mocked what I presented. He still mocks that post to this day. I'm pretty confident in my communication skills to know when I can't have a rational discussion with someone; my time is limited and I don't want to waste it with anyone who is just going to mock me (I can post at quatloos in that case, and they mock me without all the parenthetical sidebars)Big Grin. So while I can have a thought stimulating, intelligent discussion with NonE on the subject, from experience I can't with eye2. So it's not that I'm afraid of such discussions.

My request was not respected. There is ample empirical evidence of that. Whatever the disagreement with my reasons, some posters just don't care that I asked for it not to be discussed. Instead of respecting that and discussing it on another forum (or using the PM feature here), they still make such posts and then make threads about me. Let's not forget I didn't ban or delete any members or posts.

And this not about any kind of authority about this being "my" board; just some common courtesy.

But there are always going to be those who just can't extend a little courtesy. That's what the ignore button is for though. And since some seem obsessed with this
[Image: flame.jpg]

If government services were valuable and the market wanted them, they wouldn't be provided on a compulsory basis.
02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
(02-29-2012 03:51 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  Let's not forget I didn't ban or delete any members or posts.

Kudos, dude. Kudos. Heart

- NonEntirelySane

- NonE .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
02-29-2012, 05:00 PM
(02-29-2012 03:51 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  I've been labeled a conspiracy theorist by Art Bell; I've been called a lunatic, scammer, nutjob, weirdo, idiot, jackass, loser, hypocrite, cult leader, extremist etc., and with all the colorful superlatives attached.

Irrelevant, your honor.
(which is not to discount that it's sad that it happens- elsewhere -much less how discouraging and foolish it is regardless imho)

Quote:...
I have even discussed it with eye2, he only mocked what I presented. He still mocks that post to this day. ...
So while I can have a thought stimulating, intelligent discussion with NonE on the subject, from experience I can't with eye2. So it's not that I'm afraid of such discussions.

Thanks for providing the Thousand Words for me:[Image: flame.jpg]

[is that an NLP nugget showing there... "it's not that I'm afraid"... nah, couldn't be; regardless, I hear you but I'm not sure I see it]

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2012, 05:36 AM
(02-29-2012 03:51 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  There's no need to defend my reputation because there are objective and independent examples on the net. Just like with consults and callers to the show, I refer people to objective examples of my work/experience so they can make up their own mind what kind of man they are dealing with.
[Emphasis mine.]

Your work speaks highly of you, Marc. That's what I weigh for merit and credibility. Tweedledee & Tweedle(dumbass) are pipsqueaks.

--

The thought of how far the human race would have advanced absent initiatory force
staggers the imagination.

THE POINT: Unlike the government thief, a common thief doesn't claim his "craft" is honest.
Lawyer-like dishonesty a point: The common thief is honest when he tells you he's robbing you.
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
(02-29-2012 03:51 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  I've been called a lunatic, scammer, nutjob, weirdo, idiot, jackass, loser, hypocrite, cult leader, extremist etc.,

Loser?!?!??!?!? Boy, the nerve of some people! Big Grin

He's noble enough to know what's right
But weak enough not to choose it
He's wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it
He's a New World man - Rush
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
(02-29-2012 03:51 PM)Marc Stevens Wrote:  I've been called a lunatic, scammer, nutjob, weirdo, idiot, jackass, loser, hypocrite, cult leader, extremist etc., and with all the colorful superlatives attached. I've also had my motives and integrity questioned before,...

Marc,

The above reminds me of a quote I think you're familiar with. The last phase in that quote is, "and then you win."

- NonE Cool

- NonE .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
(03-01-2012 09:35 AM)NonEntity Wrote:  The last phase in that quote is, "and then you win."

Or you don't.

(see that "sticks and stones" warm & fuzzy most are equally familiar with?)

Then there's always tomorrow... (or maybe you don't...)

Idea

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
03-03-2012, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 05:19 PM by eye2i2hear.)
(02-28-2012 01:35 PM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  Thus, as I hear it, to ignore indicates a willful intention. Think also of one "ignoring" and compare that with thinking of one "ignorant"? Thus, the gnosis (knowledge) is there, they are just, well, ignoring it.

======add:
Quote:"The cause of suffering is ignorance, by that the Buddha did not mean stupidity. He meant that clinging to the illusion that life is static and predictable"

--Wade Davis speaking at TED

Ignorance did not mean stupidity, but rather, clinging (to the illusion).

03-04-2012, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:40 AM by eye2i2hear.)
(02-29-2012 12:51 PM)Dionysus Wrote:  eye2i2hear:

Yes, I use the label “atheist” for convenience, instead of listing out the individual names of those on the forum who think a certain philosophical way. I meant nothing by it. If you want me to use the term ‘abolitionist,” that’s okay by me, but it’s a tad vague (there’s no indication of the object to be abolished quite nicely, thank-you-very-much).

I'd be fine with asuperstitionist.

Covers the object to be abolished. Check.

Convenient. Check.

win/win?!

Tho win/when you go for just the facts, a synonym dictionary could have superstitionist and theist as an entry. Or a dictionary could have theists as an example of a superstitionist (and one day, along with it, statists as a prime example --again, a win/win!?).
  • superstition: early 13c., from O.Fr. superstition or directly from L. superstitionem (nom. superstitio), noun of action from superstare (see superstitious). Originally especially of religion; sense of "unreasonable notion" is from 1794.
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sourceid=captaincaveman&search=superstition
  • superstitious: late 14c., from O.Fr. superstitieux, from L. superstitiosus, from superstitionem (nom. superstitio) "prophecy, soothsaying, excessive fear of the gods," perhaps originally "state of religious exaltation," related to superstes (gen. superstitis) "standing over or above," also "standing by, surviving," from superstare "stand on or over, survive," from super "above" (see super-) + stare "to stand," from PIE root *sta- "to stand" (see stet). There are many theories for the Latin sense development, but none has yet triumphed.
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=superstitious&allowed_in_frame=0

[side-bar: to any who might be offended by meye 'referring' to (referencing) theism as a superstition, well, you can now know pretty well my feeling when called an atheist]

abolitionist of superstition (religion)
abolitionist of religion (God & State)

You can call me an asuperstitionist. Or you can call me Ray. Just don't call me late for supper (or the blues jam!).
Cool

03-04-2012, 08:17 AM
(03-04-2012 08:08 AM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  
(02-29-2012 12:51 PM)Dionysus Wrote:  eye2i2hear:

Yes, I use the label “atheist” for convenience, instead of listing out the individual names of those on the forum who think a certain philosophical way. I meant nothing by it. If you want me to use the term ‘abolitionist,” that’s okay by me, but it’s a tad vague (there’s no indication of the object to be abolished quite nicely, thank-you-very-much).

I'd be fine with asuperstitionist.

Covers the object to be abolished. Check.

Convenient. Check.

win/win?!

Tho win/when you go for just the facts, a synonym dictionary could have superstitionist and theist as an entry. Or a dictionary could have theists as an example of a superstitionist (and one day, along with it, statists as a prime example --again, a win/win!?).
  • superstition: early 13c., from O.Fr. superstition or directly from L. superstitionem (nom. superstitio), noun of action from superstare (see superstitious). Originally especially of religion; sense of "unreasonable notion" is from 1794.
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sourceid=captaincaveman&search=superstition
  • superstitious: late 14c., from O.Fr. superstitieux, from L. superstitiosus, from superstitionem (nom. superstitio) "prophecy, soothsaying, excessive fear of the gods," perhaps originally "state of religious exaltation," related to superstes (gen. superstitis) "standing over or above," also "standing by, surviving," from superstare "stand on or over, survive," from super "above" (see super-) + stare "to stand," from PIE root *sta- "to stand" (see stet). There are many theories for the Latin sense development, but none has yet triumphed.
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=superstitious&allowed_in_frame=0

[side-bar: to any who might be offended by meye 'referring' to (referencing) theism as a superstition, well, you can now know pretty well my feeling when called an atheist]

abolitionist of superstition (religion)
abolitionist of religion (God & State)

You can call me an asuperstitionist. Or you can call me Ray. Just don't call me late for supper (or the blues jam!).
Cool

We are getting somewhere.

Good work.

"You can call me Ray", that brings back long time memories.

I wonder if anyone else knows where the expression comes from?
03-04-2012, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:39 AM by eye2i2hear.)
(03-04-2012 08:17 AM)boyntonstu Wrote:  "You can call me Ray", that brings back long time memories.

and there's my other brother Daryl...

or...

I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
http://www.metrolyrics.com/you-can-call-me-al-lyrics-paul-simon.html

03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
(03-04-2012 09:08 AM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 08:17 AM)boyntonstu Wrote:  "You can call me Ray", that brings back long time memories.

and there's my other brother Daryl...

or...

I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
http://www.metrolyrics.com/you-can-call-me-al-lyrics-paul-simon.html

Jose Jimenez mad scientist with sign behind him:

Danger! JB!

Jigh Boltage!
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:Division indicates how divisive individuals want the world to be; evidence tells everyone how the world is.

--Tauriq Moosa

ok.
So Moosa actually said, quote:
"Outrage indicates how outraged individuals want the world to be; evidence tells everyone how the world is.".