NonE's call about self-ownership
Current time: 11-22-2017, 03:10 PM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: Dionysus
Last Post: NonEntity
Replies: 254
Views: 166147

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
NonE's call about self-ownership
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership
(08-14-2012 06:17 PM)tharrin Wrote:  Okay NonE

I read your piece. Well constructed.

The first line of the first paragraph states. "Obviously we possess our bodies." Really? Doesn't that depend on no force being applied to your alleged possession? If I sneak up on you and hit you in the head with you alleged hammer, then mummify you with duck tape and parade you around on a golf cart. Then roll you in the mud. Paint your eyelids purple. Get tire of you and give you to a friend to do with as she or he will. Do you still possess your body? Or does the person that controls your body possess it? Kind of goes back up to my earlier post about the doctor paralyzing you with a drug. After which he could tie your arms and legs with ropes and play marionette puppet master with your body totally against your will and despite your claims of ownership.

Tharrin,

Words are tools to express concepts. Hell, they are tools to HOLD concepts. Right? So I see you taking two words which have separate meanings, and conflating them. Of course I have my mind and mental imagery and you have yours, so I can't know exactly how you see these two words, that is one of the difficulties of life.

But you posit an interesting point. When someone else is in TOTAL control of your body, is it still "your" body? Are you still you? The thing that I woke up at three in the morning flashing on was Patty Hearst. Remember her? And the Simbianese Liberation Army? (sp?) The story goes (who the hell knows what the truth is or was) that she was kidnapped and held by them under conditions which caused her to manifest the Stockholm Syndrome and, if I recall correctly, help her captors.

So I'm wondering, was she still she?

In other words, your scenario is played out, with Patty Hearst in the lead role, and what happens? She becomes... no longer she.

So "she" is no longer in possession of "her" body, because "she" is no longer "she."

Are you following me here?

So it's not that she lost possession of her body, rather the she that was possessing her body ceased to be.

But back to my first point. I think it is clear that possession and ownership are two distinct concepts. Yes, your tortured version of control makes an interesting point, but I don't think it really refutes the point I was making about ownership and how it cannot be claimed. Well, you can claim it, but you can also claim the moon is made of green cheese. The CLAIM does not make it so. It is the actions of other people which create the reality of whether or not you "own" something. And even then it is imperfect, of course, as are all things.

I just sent an email off to a friend. It bounced back. So I did a search and came up with her obituary. She still exists in my mind, but I don't think she is in possession nor ownership of anything. I still possess the spirit of who she was. I don't own it. I'm getting maudlin. I can't believe she's dead. Sigh.

At any rate, dem's my thoughts on the matter at the moment, as always. Thanks for prodding my thinker and I look forward to your response.

- the Very Good NonE

- NonE the severely deluded Sister Sleazious .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 09:03 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 10:48 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Jonathanr - 10-30-2011, 08:09 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - soveREIGN - 11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM