NonE's call about self-ownership
Current time: 12-18-2017, 01:11 PM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: Dionysus
Last Post: NonEntity
Replies: 254
Views: 168800

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
NonE's call about self-ownership
08-31-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 09:31 PM by Dionysus.)
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership
Actually, that picture of Spongebob I posted has some relevance to the topic of this thread, believe it or not. Allow me to amplify: Spongebob said the following once in one of his episodes (“Big Pink Loser,” I believe):

“At least I’m safe inside my mind.”

That statement has echoed around inside me for a long time now. For me, the whole self-ownership thing boils down to one’s philosophy of life. I don‘t even like to use the term “self-ownership” since, as we’ve discovered in this thread, people get hung up on the technical definition (drat those word thingys) and lose sight of the basic concept that the term is supposed to represent.

For me, self-ownership is a by-product of living your life according to the precepts of: doing things at the extreme of effort; doing nothing half-heartedly or weak-willedly; being at the extreme of personal honesty in dealings with others; being open to the extremes of pleasure and pain that life brings you when lived to the full; shirking no opportunity for self-growth or self-testing-- at length, living “authentically.”

To do otherwise is to capitulate your “ownership” to others, which means surrender to the dreaded Establishment and socio-religious conformity. Once that Goliath (of being separated from “ownership of youir self” by “the powers that be”) lies headless in the dust, the crud-munchers who are out to “get” you can neither claim your allegiance nor scare you with their threats.

So, Spongebob is right after all (I‘ve never known him to be wrong about anything Tounge)-- you are safe inside your mind… but only if you want to be. Anyway, I hope I’ve done a decent job of elucidating the concept of “self-ownership” somewhat. And if not, hey, it didn’t cost you anything (except a little time). Big Grin

Now it’s dark.

He's noble enough to know what's right
But weak enough not to choose it
He's wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it
He's a New World man - Rush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 09:03 PM
RE: NonE's call about self-ownership - Kel - 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM