xkcd: "Show me the Money"
Current time: 09-18-2014, 04:38 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: eye2i2hear
Last Post: zonsb
Replies: 1
Views: 904

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-28-2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.xkcd.com/980/

Infographic: xkcd Shows You the Money Wrote:
If there's a prize for best infographic, ever, then Randall Munroe has won. Hands down. The winner? His Money infographic posted Monday. This monster infographic comes with full sources in CSV format and covers everything from Barenaked Ladies to 2012 presidential fundraising.

If you ever wanted to see money put into very detailed perspective, this will do it for you. Munroe starts with visualizations based on the dollar, like a Starbucks Coffee ($2.00) to a comparison of hourly worker and CEO pay between 1965 and 2007.

From there, Munroe goes on to compare box office revenue from Snow White to Avatar, and annual profits of AT&T, Verizon, and JP Morgan Chase. The U.S. Household Income visualization alone is worth the time downloading the 6.7MB image. See also the section on billionaires.

The entire chart is 12,528 by 8,352 pixels [.png format]. That would take five Apple 27" Thunderbolt Displays to render full-size, side to side. It would take 30 Apple 27" displays to show in its entirety at full size. Or you could buy your very own copy to hang on the wall and admire without having to purchase a phalanx of $1,000 monitors.

or see it/save a pixel copy here~

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2011, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2011 04:19 PM by zonsb.)
RE: xkcd: "Show me the Money"

[Image: You_Rock_Emoticon.gif]
eye2i, great find. Thanks.

http://www.xkcd.com/980/ Wrote:
Six things I learned while researching this chart:

1. The world's most expensive thing by weight is probably the Treskilling Yellow Postage Stamp

2. The US's 400 Richest people have a greater combined net worth than the poorest 50% of the country.

3. The EPA has a dollar value for human life; it's currently $8.4 million. They don't like to talk about it; they call it a VSL (Value of Statistical Life), and tend to use terms like "1000 Micro-VSLs".

4. The Eisenhower Interstate Highway System is arguably the most expensive public works project in teh history of mankind.

5. We spend roughly the same amount on cancer treatment as we do on cigarettes. I'm not sure what lesson to take from that.

6. Given their annual marketing budget, Coca-Cola could afford to literally buy the world a Coke. However, singing lessons for every person on Earth would be prohibitively expensive.

--

The thought of how far the human race would have advanced absent initiatory force
staggers the imagination.

THE POINT: Unlike the government thief, a common thief doesn't claim his "craft" is honest.
Lawyer-like dishonesty a point: The common thief is honest when he tells you he's robbing you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply