Self Ownership
Current time: 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: Jonathanr
Last Post: Jonathanr
Replies: 4
Views: 1309

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Self Ownership
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Self Ownership
From http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/drug-fin...1s7y9.html
Quote:The 22-year-old's body was found lying beside that of his 18-year-old Dutch girlfriend, Rianne Brouwer, at the backpackers' hotel in Nongkio Village, in the central province of Luang Prabang north of the capital Vientiane, on Saturday.

This use of the English language suggests we do own ourselves.

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: Self Ownership
(02-09-2012 07:08 PM)Jonathanr Wrote:  From http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/drug-fin...1s7y9.html
Quote:The 22-year-old's body was found lying beside that of his 18-year-old Dutch girlfriend, Rianne Brouwer, at the backpackers' hotel in Nongkio Village, in the central province of Luang Prabang north of the capital Vientiane, on Saturday.

This use of the English language suggests we do own ourselves.

Big Grin

"Have you paid your taxes yet?" - proves ownership
"Let me see your drivers' license." - proves travel requires a permission slip
"Australia is down under." - proves there is an up and down to the universe (why don't they fall off???) Confused

I see. It's all so clear now. Tounge

- NonE

- NonE .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
02-09-2012, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 08:37 PM by Jonathanr.)
Well I deliberately avoided the word "prove", since it isn't any form of proof. What I was intrigued about is that the cadaver is considered a possession of another entity. I'm guessing that the other entity is the mind.

But I have no proof of that.
Having a go at rewriting this paragraph, it might turn out like:
Quote: The 22-year-old body was found lying beside an 18-year-old female body, at the backpackers' hotel in Nongkio Village, in the central province of Luang Prabang north of the capital Vientiane, on Saturday.
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
(02-09-2012 08:33 PM)Jonathanr Wrote:  Well I deliberately avoided the word "prove", since it isn't any form of proof. What I was intrigued about is that the cadaver is considered a possession of another entity. I'm guessing that the other entity is the mind.

But I have no proof of that.

I stand sit corrected. Good post. (Well, at least it is now that you've explained it to the less mentally adroit of us.) Angel

- NonE

- NonE .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 11:08 PM by Jonathanr.)
Reading it carefully again, I also note that the language implies that he owned his girlfriend, but not his girlfriend's body. "that of", to me implies she owned her body.
Apologies for banging on about a paragraph of text, but it dawned on me that our language and idiom exposes our cultural assumptions.