from The End is VERY NEAR department
Current time: 04-21-2014, 05:08 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: NonEntity
Last Post: eye2i2hear
Replies: 2
Views: 628

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:YouTube Identifies Birdsong As Copyrighted Music

Posted by timothy on Sunday February 26, @04:43PM

from the estate-of-john-cage-winces-with-envy dept.

New submitter eeplox writes “I make nature videos for my YouTube channel, generally in remote wilderness away from any possible source of music. And I purposely avoid using a soundtrack in my videos because of all the horror stories I hear about Rumblefish filing claims against public domain music. But when uploading my latest video, YouTube informed me that I was using Rumblefish’s copyrighted content, and so ads would be placed on my video, with the proceeds going to said company.

This baffled me.

I disputed their claim with YouTube’s system — and Rumblefish refuted my dispute, and asserted that: ‘All content owners have reviewed your video and confirmed their claims to some or all of its content: Entity: rumblefish; Content Type: Musical Composition.’ So I asked some questions, and it appears that the birds singing in the background of my video are Rumblefish’s exclusive intellectual property.”

(h/t Peter Surda)
(emphasis mine, all rights retained in perpetuity +70 years)

- NonE

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2012 05:29 PM by Dionysus.)
RE: from The End is VERY NEAR department
Hey, don't laugh. Those damned birds are absolute murder to negotiate with. And oh brother, do they have a powerful union-- headed by Big Bird, of course. Then you've got his henchmen Toucan Sam, Tweety Bird, Heckle and Jeckle, and Foghorn Leghorn. And don't get me started on Donald Duck.

He's noble enough to know what's right
But weak enough not to choose it
He's wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it
He's a New World man - Rush
Find all posts by this user
08-21-2013, 06:23 PM
RE: from The End is VERY NEAR department
Skeptical ... on a 'nutter nature trail (we are talkin'bout the Zoo, aye?):

SaM Wrote:Police Now Can Switch off iPhone Camera and Wi-Fi
August 19th, 2013

Police throughout the globe have been embarrassed to see online videos of their officers pepper spraying tied captives. In our age of mobile gadgets the pictures can be uploaded online in seconds, making supervisors to answer the questions.

But now the police may not need to fear scrutiny anymore, because Apple has recently patented a piece of technology that would allow the authorities and police to block data transmission, including video and photos, whenever they like. All they need to do is decide that a public gathering or venue is deemed “sensitive” and needs to be protected from externalities. In this case Apple will enable them to switch off all its gear. The developers insist that the affected locations are normally cinemas, theaters and concert grounds, but Apple admits it could also be used in covert police or government operations that may need complete “blackout” conditions.

In the meantime, privacy outfits point out that it could also be used to prevent such whistle blowers as Edward Snowden from shooting pictures and sharing them online. In response, Apple claimed that the wireless transmission of sensitive data to a remote source is a threat to security, with the sensitive data being anything from classified government data to answers to an exam administered in an academic setting.

Anyway, the fact is that Apple has patented the means to transmit an encoded signal to all wireless gadgets, commanding them to disable recording functions. The developers reveal that the policies would be activated by GPS, and Wi-Fi or mobile base-stations that would ring-fence around a building or a sensitive area in order to prevent mobile cameras from taking pictures or recording video.
[ieye've not fact-checked, fwiw/fyc/iai]

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user