from the "it won't hurt if it's true" department
Current time: 09-29-2014, 10:55 PM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: NonEntity
Last Post: NonEntity
Replies: 6
Views: 1558

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Just saw this posted on the interwebz:

Quote:From my computer:

Why can’t I get Help from this program?

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn’t included in this version of Windows.

However, you can download a program that will allow you to view Help created in the Windows Help format.

For more information, go to the Microsoft Help and Support website.

Is it any wonder people hate MicroSoft???

Big Grin - NonE

- NonE .).

"I just don't understand how this happens." Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 02:22 PM by eye2i2hear.)
RE: from the "it won't hurt if it's true" department
ok, while I luv hatin' Microsoft almost more than I hate luvin' Microsoft, this one is a bit of like a stretch or at least in need of some context (specific wording of it aside --if it is in fact exact MS wording and not some creative licensing) imho.

This is like hatin' Ford because the starter from my '26 T won't fit my 2012 Lincoln. (yeah, that "starter" on the T was a lot of elbow and a manual iron crank; here's to being actually glad they've found and changed to a better idea; and at least unlike Ford, MS still has a place I can go get my what's needed to make my antiquated program still work even tho it's the equivalent of being out of warranty aka "no longer supported" --and still free)

[thus the optimal word in the quote is "this version" imho]

Otherwise, the wording is a hoot & quite amusing (and in other parallels, is a nigh deja'vu).

--NonBSODxp2i

ps: my still fav MS phrase is along the lines of "a fatal error has occurred"... where I still feel the urge to dial 9-1-1, or get up to go get on a friend's computer to get online to shop for a still living one. Tounge

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2012, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 07:09 PM by WorBlux.)
(03-11-2012 02:18 PM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  ok, while I luv hatin' Microsoft almost more than I hate luvin' Microsoft, this one is a bit of like a stretch or at least in need of some context (specific wording of it aside --if it is in fact exact MS wording and not some creative licensing) imho.

This is like hatin' Ford because the starter from my '26 T won't fit my 2012 Lincoln. (yeah, that "starter" on the T was a lot of elbow and a manual iron crank; here's to being actually glad they've found and changed to a better idea; and at least unlike Ford, MS still has a place I can go get my what's needed to make my antiquated program still work even tho it's the equivalent of being out of warranty aka "no longer supported" --and still free)

[thus the optimal word in the quote is "this version" imho]

Otherwise, the wording is a hoot & quite amusing (and in other parallels, is a nigh deja'vu).

--NonBSODxp2i

ps: my still fav MS phrase is along the lines of "a fatal error has occurred"... where I still feel the urge to dial 9-1-1, or get up to go get on a friend's computer to get online to shop for a still living one. Tounge

Your car analogy doesn't fit because all computers are all fundamentally the same type of machine.

I don't really criticize not including support for this old format in the first place, but that it was ever used. They wanted to be "clever" and invent their own format instead of using available standard formats. And what they replace it with is another non-standard format.

*nix on the other hand has maintained over 40 years of backwards compatibility for some help files, because they choose to use plain text and a separate program to pull up the files and search them.

Where more features are required, html documents are used.

My pgp key ID:
0x3E4258F8382DE6D0
available at subkeys.pgp.net (and others)
key fingerprint:
2F0C 4109 C8C3 B8BE E0B9 84DF 3E42 58F8 382D E6D0
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
(03-11-2012 06:31 PM)WorBlux Wrote:  *nix on the other have has maintained over...

You two should get along fine! Big Grin

Brickwall Brickwall Brickwall

- NonE

- NonE .).

03-11-2012, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 07:12 PM by eye2i2hear.)
(03-11-2012 06:31 PM)WorBlux Wrote:  
Quote:This is like hatin' Ford because the starter from my '26 T won't fit my 2012 Lincoln. (yeah, that "starter" on the T was a lot of elbow and a manual iron crank;

Your car analogy doesn't fit because all computers are all fundamentally the same type of machine.

Are you sure it doesn't fit? A '26 engine needed to be 'cranked' in order to run; so does a '12 engine. Earlier Windows (Ford) version (engine) needs a program (starter) to run it's help file, later versions use another program (different starter) to run it's help file. (and even to the basic degree, cars are fundamentally the same type of machine... but you sure won't get your Ford key, much less it's starter, to start your Honda)

I think I grasp what you're saying about standards, compatibility, and 'clever' though, and if so, could agree easily enuff. (clever is indeed often in the eye of the beholder; one guy's clever another guy's innovation, another guy's mouse trap, another NonGuy's 'sux!! assholes', etc) Cool
Muscle builders/iron pumpers ("real men") might still feel hand cranking
engines is still 'clever' --me, not so much. Smile

"Forum winners are those who understand the power of triggered emotions and that the sole purpose of an argument is to stray as far as humanly possible from issues and to stay laser focused on belittling your rival with the choicest of pejoratives." ~Srini Chandra
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
(03-11-2012 07:10 PM)eye2i2hear Wrote:  <snip>
Are you sure it doesn't fit? A '26 engine needed to be 'cranked' in order to run; so does a '12 engine. Earlier Windows (Ford) version (engine) needs a program (starter) to run it's help file, later versions use another program (different starter) to run it's help file. (and even to the basic degree, cars are fundamentally the same type of machine... but you sure won't get your Ford key, much less it's starter, to start your Honda)

<snip>
All computers are universal calculating machines. Some are just faster or slower than others with more or less storage. The algorithms that they run can be run by any other computer (with sufficient memory). Your computer can in fact run a algorithm via it's machine cycle that emulates the behavior of some completely different machine cycle. and you could feed data into that emulated cycle to do the same, and ad infinitum. (or at least until you ran out of memory)

The operating system is not a machine, it is a giant complex algorithm, a method defined for manipulated symbolic data. There is no reason you can't put a switch in that says "if this help file is the old format then render it with the old program, else open it with the new renderer. Which was actually included in several versions of windows. Now they are purposely killing off the old format, because the new format didn't provide sufficient advantages to convince developers that they should adopt it.

My pgp key ID:
0x3E4258F8382DE6D0
available at subkeys.pgp.net (and others)
key fingerprint:
2F0C 4109 C8C3 B8BE E0B9 84DF 3E42 58F8 382D E6D0
03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
(03-11-2012 07:31 PM)WorBlux Wrote:  The operating system is not a machine, it is a giant complex algorithm...

I have proof that the Al Gore Rhythm doesn't work. Just ask his kids.

- NonWarmingGlobally

- NonE .).