Edinburgh Parking Charges
Current time: 04-16-2014, 04:08 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: By:Kev
Last Post: By:Kev
Replies: 0
Views: 651

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-29-2012, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 01:19 AM by By:Kev.)
This is something we've been using in our neck of the woods for a quite a while now. We generally don't have the same issues as you Americans over parking tickets, simply because the local authorities have contracted out the enforcement of these tickets to private firms. A private company seems to be more sensible about the 'hard nuts' than if the police are issuing them. What I've done, many times, is simply returned every single communication from these firms, unopened and marked as follows:

Quote:Return to sender.
I do not recognise you.
I do not understand your intent.
We have no contract.
We have no international treaty.
No liability accepted.
No value assured.

Very simple and the proof is in the pudding though, a man was in court and the prosectutor raised a point, that the man refused to open any of his mail, instead he put a sticker on them and returned them. The judge asked to see one of these stickered communications and after reading out the above verbage said that he "could not accept jurisdiction as there was a problem of service." Job done, call next case.

It does appear that these companies are smart enough to throw good money after bad and just drop the ticket. Every so often they will 'test' the individuals, home visits, intimidation etc, but on the whole it's been working pretty good.

Do we get a grand 'victory' against the system to boast about? No, and that's not the point, is it? It's results, damage control, they leave us alone.

Obviously I'd point out that police traffic STOPS and the like, different story altogeter. This has been working in the UK and Ireland, so what do the rest of you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply