Someone thinks he has proven a state & citizens exist
Current time: 08-23-2014, 12:28 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: Marc Stevens
Last Post: eye2i2hear
Replies: 34
Views: 7393

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Someone thinks he has proven a state & citizens exist
02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Re: Someone thinks he has proven a state & citizens exist
NonEntity Wrote:If you take Marc's analysis of it you are better off. The legal definition of a state is contradicted by itself. No need to get all metaphysical on it.

- NonE

I think you nailed it there. The "state" is self-refuting (so it fails the "fitness test"). A society is only desirable if it’s “civilized.” So, a “state” (which its adherents claim is universally desired) can be said to be a civilized society constructed around the principles of statism. Well, statism is founded upon violence and coercion. I fail to see how that can be described as civilized. Also, the members of a statist society (in theory) act in a civilized manner only because they’re forced to do so. It seems to me truly civilized behavior has to be volitional—you can force someone to act any way you want, but that doesn’t prove anything.

Sorry, “mattam” (or whoever)-- no 5000 bucks (or soup) for you. :bootyshake: :tongue2:

ETA:

I've always liked this:

Alice in Wonderland Wrote:“There is no use trying; one can't believe impossible things." (Alice)

"I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” (Queen)

The statist credo. Big Grin

He's noble enough to know what's right
But weak enough not to choose it
He's wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it
He's a New World man - Rush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Re: Someone thinks he has proven a state & citizens exist - Dionysus - 02-18-2011 12:07 PM